21. The policemen were sure that the murderer wasn’t the man ________ gun was found lying beside the dead body, which made us surprised.
A. whose B. his C. which D. of whom
22. —I serve my husband three meals every day and do almost everything for him, but he still fails me. —I’m sorry to say that’s ________ you are mistaken.
A. how B. where C. what D. why
23. ________ the preparation for the Shanghai World Expo was started, these volunteers have been working on it. A. When B. Though C. Since D. As
24. My son can’t help feeling excited at the thought that the summer vacation is coming ________. A. side by side B. little by little C. one by one D. by and by
25. ________ to the sunlight for too much time will do harm to one’s skin.
A. Being exposed B. Exposed C. Having exposed D. After being exposed
26. The old lady’s hand shook frequently. She explained to her doctor ___ this shaking had begun half a year before, and ________, only because of this, she had been forced to give up her job.A. when, how B. how, how C. how, when D. why, why
27. ________ is the ability to do the job rather than where you come from or who you are that matters. A. That B. This C. It D. There
28. Do you support the idea that people should ________ comfort for appearance, for example, wearing a formal business suit even in very hot weather?
A. replace B. forgive C. grasp D. sacrifice
29. On the ground ________ a muddy boy crying for his mother.
A. did lie B. lay C. laid D. did lay
30. I have heard the song ________ many times on TV, but I don’t know its name.
A. singing B. sung C. to be sung D. to sing
31. The traditional wedding custom of China is quite different from ________ of the west.
A. that B. what C. it D. one
32. —Did you go to the show last night?
—Yeah. Every boy and girl in the area ________ invited.
A. were B. have been C. was D. has been
33. Under no circumstances ________ him any money; he always borrows money from others and never pays it back.
A. you should lend B. you will lend C. should you lend D. will you lend
34. Since the majority of the people are urban, the country has to ________ much grain from other countries. A. import B. export C. support D. transport
35. Unwilling to be ________ on her husband for money, she does a part-time job in the supermarket. A. independent B. dependent C. consistent D. convenient
36. —Can those ________ at the back of the classroom hear me? —No problem.
A. sat B. seated C. sit D. seat
37. American Indians ________ about five percent of the US population.
A. set up B. make up C. bring up D. fill up
38. ________, I have never seen anyone who’s as capable as William.
A. As I have traveled so much B. Much as I have traveled
C. Now that I have traveled so much D. As long as I have traveled
39. Most people think the restoration of the tourist attraction ________ the development of local tourism. A. takes to B. refers to C. contributes to D. occurs to
40. —Tom, would you lend me some money?
—________, unless you pay back 5,000 yuan you borrowed from me last month.
A. No way B. No sorry C. No problem D. No hurry
41. The Town Hall ________ in the 1800’s was the most distinguished building at that time.
A. being completed B. completed C. having been completed D. to be completed
42. Excuse me, all the other rooms are occupied. May I use this ________ room?
A. hollow B. bare C. blank D. vacant
43. —I’m sorry, but I don’t quite follow you. Did you say you wanted to return on September 20? —Sorry, I ________ myself clear. We want to return on October 20.
A. haven’t made B. don’t make C. wouldn’t make D. hadn’t made
44. —Guess what, we’ve got our visas for a short-term visit to the UK this summer.
—How nice! You ________ a different culture then.
A. will have experienced B. have been experiencing
C. have experienced D. will be experiencing
45. When I talked with my grandma on the phone, she sounded weak, but by the time we ________ up, her voice had been full of life.